Dead Like Me / Hannibal
Dead Like Me / Hannibal
No but seriously, why aren’t you watching: DEAD LIKE ME ?
With the recent surge of Hannibal fans on tumblr, I would advise taking the opportunity (if you haven’t already), to explore Bryan Fuller’s other shows, and this one’s the best. For so many reasons…
- George Lass is a college drop-out, who is killed in an accident on the first day of her new temp job. She is then recruited to become a grim reaper, and is now responsible for taking the souls of people whose time it is to die. She must learn to get along with her fellow reapers and manage a part-time job alongside her reaping duties, while trying to leave her old life behind. The show follows not only George, but her parents and younger sister as they also struggle to move on.
- George Lass; protagonist/narrator. Possibly one of the most relatable characters you are likely to come across. George has little motivation/enthusiasm for anything in particular, and comes across bitter and sarcastic. She’s also hilarious, and has an incredible growth arc over the course of the show’s two seasons.
- Rube Sofer; boss of George and her fellow reapers. A laid back, unemotional guy until it comes to food or his personal morals. Very interesting character who develops an amazing relationship with George.
- Mason; the lovable, scruffy, screw-up of the group. You can’t help but fall in love with this adorable british doofus.
- Roxy Harvey; will not stand for your bullshit. Very proud and assertive. And also hilarious.
- Daisy Adair; former actress, with the looks and the ego to match. There’s so much more to this girl than meets the eye.
AND IF YOU’RE STILL NOT CONVINCED:
- There really is nothing else out there like this show. It’s one of a kind. Dead Like Me will stand apart from anything else you’ve ever seen because it is that unique. I can’t stress this enough.
- Found families seem to be a common interest amongst tv fans on tumblr, so this show is perfect. The dynamic between each of George’s newfound family are really well-developed in such a short time, and I promise you’ll fall in love with all of them.
- It’s funny. And not just every once in a while. Dead Like Me has a genuine wit that is specific to the show. Guaranteed laughs.
- This show is so clever, in the way that it takes issues such as death, and loss, that are really heavy, emotionally wise, and almost makes light of them. It doesn’t shy away from the big questions but does so in such a light-heartedly bittersweet way - it’s really refreshing.
I cannot oversell this show enough. You won’t regret watching it!